Sunday, August 2, 2009

The thrill of the hunt

I like to own nice things.

This isn't really a shock. I mean really, who doesn't like to have nice stuff?

But I really like labels. Probably more than I rightfully should. Even if my scope of labels is somewhat limited (sue me, I'm only just starting to learn about this stuff, I didn't even know how to do my own make-up in high school). This doesn't mean that I won't buy something from Target... or hell, even Wal-mart (I can hear the screams from here) if it's something that I really like. But I like having those things that were trendy, even if it was "last season" (or many, many, many seasons ago...)

I like to wear my Rock & Republic jeans. I like to carry my Kathy Von Zeeland and Coach bags. I have a dress that I looked up on the internet because I just had a feeling it was some obscure, expensive brand (I was right). I love to wear my Brighton earrings because God knows I just live for the moment when someone will ask me if they're Brighton and I get to answer.

Yes.

...Just call me a victim of a consumer society.

But here's my not-so-well-kept secret: I feel like a fraud when I wear these things. Because since, like most of the rest of America, I live on a budget, I don't really indulge often. I'm frugal. To the point where I wish credit card debt didn't terrify me the way it does... because good lord, I want that... dress, necklace, purse, pair of earrings... really, just insert whatever here.

My Brighton earrings? $1. My Rock & Republic jeans? Two. My purses? The results of some fantastic sales.

Garage sales, Consignment shops, coupons, and sales...

I better get back to Plato's Closet soon. I feel like it's my only ally before I wind up like Becky Bloomwood... I've got to get my Shopaholic fix once in a while and at least it's there and not in a designer store where I'd do some real damage.


Jenuinely yours,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feeling Jenerous? Leave some love.